The Church of St. Edward, in the village of Corfe, Dorset, England, is thought to have been constructed in the 12th century. The church was named after St Edward the Martyr who was murdered in 978 on the orders of his stepmother, Queen Alfthryth. Edward became a Saint according to the legend that his body was hidden, but a blind woman discovered it and her sight was restored. The location of this miracle is where the church stands today.
In common with many churches in England, during the English Civil War (1642-1646), Parliamentary troops used the church as stabling for their horses and men, causing extensive damage. Musket shot marks from Civil War can still be seen inside and outside the church.